Tuesday, March 29, 2011

You mean all I had to do was “ask?”

1 John 5: This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

============

Ring, ring went the telephone in the distance. “Next” the person behind the desk softly stated to me. She gave me my room key and tried to explain where everything was but kept getting interrupted by the phone or some other emergency. It was clear they were shorthanded on my first day on campus.

I asked “do you need some help?” “Are you on work study?” she asked. “Yes” I exclaimed. Within two hours of being on campus, I had my first job. Wow, this “asking for stuff” is nice.
  • Usually when I ask GOD for stuff I am asking from a selfish perspective.
  • Usually when I ask GOD for stuff I want to control HIM or my situation.
  • Usually when I ask GOD for stuff I never ask HIM what HE wants for me.
I actually feel sorry for GOD sometimes. I mean everyone on the planet selfishly asking for stuff and not turning to the way HE wants to be worshipped seems to be lonely. I theologically know HE can exist just fine without me, but it seems like a difficult position to be in.
  • GOD loves when I voluntarily ask for things HE wants instead of putting myself first.
  • GOD gets excited when I pray for immaterial things like love, faith, mercy and grace.
  • GOD loves when I ask for HIS help in making plans and when I consult HIM on all matters, large or small.
GOD knows what I need before I ask HIM. The problem is that sometimes I want things that can distract me from a quality relationship with HIM and have nothing to do with eternity. “Please LORD give me money, or the gadget I was lusting over.” While these things are not harmful, my attitude of elevating them to a “need” is.

GOD wants me to understand HIS attitude of compassion, grace and love for all humans and to pray for the resources necessary in drawing them to HIS kingdom. HE has never failed in taking care of me so why should I stop believing HE will? In other words, GOD will ALWAYS come through for me, I just need to ask.
  • What do you desire?
  • Are you the slightest bit selfish in your desires?
  • How does the thing you want fit with expanding GOD’s kingdom?
  • Can you focus your prayers on things GOD wants you to have?

No comments:

Post a Comment