Monday, May 16, 2011

Brother can you spare...

Matthew 5: 42 Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

============ 

It seems like they were everywhere.  People had their hand out asking for stuff and I only had so much to go around.  I mean I wanted my new house, furniture, car, clothes and vacation. Can’t these people just pull themselves up by their “boot straps” and get it together? “All they have to do is…” Wasn’t my naïve young mind in a strange direction?


·         I don’t understand why there is an inequity of wealth, BUT GOD wants me to have compassion.
·         I don’t understand why it seems like the selfish get richer, BUT GOD wants me to be generous.
·         I don’t understand why someone who seems to be following GOD can be broke, BUT GOD wants me to share my wealth with them to show HIS generosity.


One way GOD wants to show humans HIS love is for me to be generous.  I’m not talking about selective generosity, I mean an overwhelming generosity that permeates every aspect of my life. In lean times HE wants me just as generous as times of plenty.


Generosity takes practice.  I can always find a reason not to give. “They aren’t organized” or “They don’t know what they want” or “they are not trying to help themselves” or “My bills are crawling all over me.” These are all reasons to zip up my wallet and hold back.

·         GOD gives me plenty so I can give plenty.
·         GOD loves when I am not selfish with the wealth HE has given me.
·         GOD desires that I spread the wealth to those in need to draw them closer to HIM.
 

My prayer for others has to be adjusted. Instead of praying for money to fall out of the sky for them and me, I pray the LORD meets our needs and draws us closer to HIM to be used as HIS instruments. A generous heart makes a great servant of GOD.
 
·         Are you questioning the plan of the person asking you for money?
·         Can you give to “that” person without complaining?
·         Is there someone you have in mind you can give to right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment