Thursday, May 12, 2011

How many times have I committed adultery?

Matthew 5: 27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
 
============
 
It seems to be all around us these days. Sex is as prevalent as the leaves on the trees. Throughout my life television, movies and fashion have been a nemesis to my pitiful attempt at remaining mentally pure as GOD states in this passage.

 
A glance at a scantily clad woman or an accidental peek at nudity isn’t the problem. It’s when I linger, wonder or discuss it with the fella’s that causes problems between me and the LORD.
 
  • Lust leads me away from serving my wife and family.
  • Lust leads me away from treating the person I’m lusting after with GOD’s respect.
  • Lust leads me away from asking GOD for purity of mind and toward complaining about HIS rules.
“You mean my lustful glance is a problem with GOD” I would ask myself. I mean I haven’t acted on the glance, what’s the problem? The “lustful” glance says to my wife “you are not enough.” GOD put our union together to form a “spiritual triangle”, HIM, her and me.
 
I find it takes practice to remain pure of mind especially in today’s society of sensual sludge that pours into our family rooms even on commercials. I wonder how many times I fell into a trap of lustful adultery over the course of my marriage. I probably don’t want to know the number.
  • GOD wants me to remain pure of mind so I must keep reducing the ways it can enter my lenses.
  • GOD wants me to remain pure of mind to keep my thoughts focused on HIM.
  • GOD wants me to remain pure of mind so I must focus on the spiritual triangle HE has set up.
I must admit purity of mind is difficult and I have discussed this many times with many men who struggle with a one mate for life concept. The conclusion that I came up with is GOD wants me to realize that my judgmental ways of accusing those who have committed adultery is the “same” as my lustful glance. I require mercy just as much, if not more than the one who went through with their fantasy.

  • Do you believe GOD forgives your lustful heart?
  • Can you admit out loud that you have followed your lusts instead of GOD’s love?
  • Do you believe that confession to GOD set’s you free from your lustful trap?
  • Can the person you have flirted with hear GOD’s message from you “after” you have lusted with them?

No comments:

Post a Comment