Thursday, May 19, 2011

Take time to go “fast.”

Matthew 6: 16 “When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show others they are fasting. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full.


17 But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, 18 so that it will not be obvious to others that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

============

“Will I pass out?” “How will I make it an entire day without food or liquid?” “What is the purpose of fasting anyway?” These were the questions that ran through my mind the first time I actually “heard” about fasting. Mind you I had been told about fasting for years, but I never “heard” it for myself.

Giving up food and liquids seemed a bit harsh. Doesn’t the body need these things to remain alive? Will fasting make me holier? I was confused.

  • Fear made me question fasting so I tried to downplay its purpose.
  • Fear intensified my doubt that fasting is necessary for worshipping GOD.
  • Fear kept me away from another block of time I could have spent with GOD.

Fasting doesn’t make me special or holier or supernatural from what I have read. When I take time to give up food for a day, my body tells me to spend time with GOD in prayer. My stomach growls and the smells of food seem to be everywhere. When these moments hit I pray.

  • Fasting lets me know the “body” GOD created is so much more than a food to energy converter.
  • Fasting reminds me that I need GOD as much as I need food.
  • Fasting gives me a moment to slow down my busy life and spend time with GOD.

GOD wants me to focus on HIS heavenly kingdom and nothing should be as important as this, not money, jobs or even food. HE wants me to have control over my self-indulgent life for just a little while and trust HE will take care of me. HE wants me to have a secret time with HIM and HIM alone.

  • Have you tried to fast?
  • What are you afraid of?
  • Can you ease into it by missing a meal then two then three?
  • What will you pray for during this time?
  • Can you do this as an act of worshipping GOD and not to get something?

No comments:

Post a Comment