Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What will my legacy be like?

Matthew 7: 17 Likewise, every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

============

As I sat in my apartment all alone I guess it was a time in my life where I started taking inventory of “where I was in life.” I was single, fresh out of school, on my own and not following the LORD. I mean I was “good” because I wasn’t committing any crimes. 

I just wanted to have some “fun” on the weekends, maybe go to a bar, give my number out, buy some clothes and do it all again next week. Something felt empty about my life. What had I accomplished? Fortunately, GOD had a different answer than humans.

  • People tell me to climb the ladder of success and step on others to get there BUT GOD doesn’t like when I mistreat HIS humans.
  • People tell me that titles are important BUT GOD isn’t impressed with my humanly title.
  • People tell me that it’s alright to live as wild and free as I want BUT GOD tells me I will reap what I sow.

It really never dawned on me that there is more to life than living for my pleasure. That empty hole in my heart could only be filled with “love”, a special kind of love that only comes from GOD.

  • The more I serve others the fuller my heart becomes.
  • The more I serve others the more my life becomes “abundant.”
  • The more I serve others the more exciting my days grow.

GOD said “you will recognize HIS children by the fruit they bear.” I can use and abuse others but that’s not HIS fruit.  HE wants me to serve them in secret and humbly move to the next act of kindness. My wake should leave waves of greatness not splashes of destruction.

Now I guess I live with a certain motto, “leave a person better than I found them.”

  • Are you bearing good or bad fruit?
  • By not doing anything for GOD, do you think this is “good” fruit?
  • Can you do more to serve GOD’s humans strictly as an act of worshipping HIM?
  • What will people say about your entire life when you are gone? (Hurt me, helped me, did nothing?)

No comments:

Post a Comment