Wednesday, May 11, 2011

You're and "idiot," or is it me?

Matthew 5: 21 “You have heard that it was said to the people long ago, ‘You shall not murder, and anyone who murders will be subject to judgment.’ 22 But I tell you that anyone who is angry with a brother or sister will be subject to judgment. Again, anyone who says to a brother or sister, ‘Raca,’ is answerable to the court. And anyone who says, ‘You fool!’ will be in danger of the fire of hell.


============

“Look at that doofus driving with his turn signal on” I said to my family as I expressed my impatience with driving. When the promotions came out and “that” person was on the list I thought “that idiot?”


When questioning my parents for not letting me go to the party or event I mumbled and grumbled and muttered under my breath “stupid!” Notice I wasn’t “stupid” enough to say it out loud.

When I corrected a person for not hearing what “I” said even when they may have been distracted, or I may have said it the wrong way or at the wrong time or in the wrong tone, I may have thought that person was a little, uh, off “their” game and I wasn’t to blame.

  • Calling someone a fool is insulting to GOD who made them.
  • Calling someone slow insults GOD and raises me higher than HIM.
  • Calling someone dumb slaps GOD’s face because I don’t know the whole plan.

At one time I thought this verse was a little harsh.  I mean doesn’t the Bible point out “foolish” “slothful” people? In my examples there is one thing in common, “I’m not getting my way.”

  • When I am not getting my way I pout and call the other person names.
  • When I am not getting my way I think the other person is stupid and they need “my” help into “better” thinking.
  • When I am not getting my way I believe my plan is better and I discount the other person’s method of doing things.
GOD wants me to appreciate the differences HE made in people. HE wants me to value opinions of others while humbly adding my “two cents.” A weak leader tries to prove their value by downplaying others, a strong one doesn’t have to.


  • Do you think “that” person is stupid?
  • Are you questioning a person’s intelligence?
  • They may be insulting your intelligence, do you have the right to do the same to others?
  • Can you pray for “that person” instead of criticizing them?
  • Have you ever thought “maybe I’m the idiot” in this situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment