Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Fitting “in” can get me thrown “out.”

Mark 7: 20 He went on: “What comes out of a person is what defiles them. 21 For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come—sexual immorality, theft, murder, 22 adultery, greed, malice, deceit, lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly. 23 All these evils come from inside and defile a person.”

============

A few of us guys were standing around the bar after the long hard day of following meticulous detail ensuring everything was done right at the convention. As the drinks poured the conversations became more and more interesting.

Wanting to fit in, I joined in on the laughter even though drinking was not my thing. The cruder my jokes the more I fit in. Soon I was considered one of the crowd but I think I discussed everything on this list, with the exception of murder.
  • My heart has some terrible behaviors in it.
  • My heart fights against GOD daily.
  • My heart can get hard when I practice “evil thoughts.”
It’s true that misery loves company. More and more, people want to do their own thing and it seems like morals are a thing of the past. You will find it hard pressed to watch a movie or television show that doesn’t mention or glorify at least four things on the list in this passage.

Desiring to “fit in” I absorb the words and actions like a sponge. GOD listens to every word I say and every action I take.  HE sees my heart and knows exactly what I’m thinking. HE knows my pitiful efforts to balance the bad with a little good but HE wants me to think differently.
  • If I put my mind on GOD on purpose then I will reduce my sinful thoughts.
  • If I put my mind on GOD on purpose then my words will change from evil to graceful.
  • If I put my mind on GOD on purpose then maybe, just maybe my heart will soften enough to be used by GOD for HIS purpose.
“Fitting in” isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be especially when I have to fit into this list. I could gain a world of friends and lose my true GODLY value. GOD knows the evil lurking in my heart and applauds when I follow HIS ways in spite of what the crowd thinks.
  • Are you trying to fit in to the crowd?
  • Is the crowd doing anything on this list?
  • Are you doing or have you done anything on this list?
  • Do you believe JESUS died to remove every sin listed in this passage?
  • Can you celebrate what HE has done for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment