Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I “look” better than you.

Mark 2: 17 On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

============

While listening to the news I heard of many who raped, burned and pillaged our towns. “How dare they” I said from my extremely high horse. “Tsk, tsk, tsk” I thought to myself “I’m pretty good.” I mean I go to church and I’m nice and I’m this and I’m that. My arm got a little tired from patting myself on my back.

  • When I compare myself to others I’m actually looking for something to be wrong with them.
  • When I compare myself to others I am trying to justify my sinful life.
  • When I compare myself to others GOD is not impressed with the comparison.

It seems like I get a little mad at GOD when I compare myself to others. I see people who seem to get their way through lying, cheating and stealing and I seem to struggle when I follow GOD. “What’s the deal GOD” I scream at HIM. “Look at them and look at me! Shouldn’t I be the rich one?”
  • GOD wants me to compare myself to JESUS.
  • HE wants me to understand my soul is in an unhealthy state.
  • GOD wants me to need and want HIM to cure my sinful ailment.
The only way for me to be “cured” is to admit I’m a sinner.  But you say, “I’ve done this before and nothing changed.” My heart needs to be worked over a little more than some I guess. I can get a little haughty and judgmental when things are in my favor and contrite and humble when things go wrong.

GOD wants me to be consistent in my worship of HIM. HE wants me to admit my sins to HIM while showing grace to the multitudes. My only comparison should be with JESUS, when I do that I bow my knees and admit, “I am a sinner.”
  • What are you “demanding” from GOD?
  • Are you comparing yourself to others?
  • Do you think you deserve more?
  • Can you spend some time admitting to GOD where your life is right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment