Friday, September 23, 2011

Accept GOD’s methods and plans

Luke 23: 39One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”

 40 But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? 41 We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”

 42 Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”
 43 Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise.”

============

Many times I expect GOD to act like Hollywood’s special effects department. I think when I have a problem some angel with a fuzzy glow would come and speak to me telling me a special message. I also think GOD should zap my problems away just like in the movies. That’s how I approach prayer sometimes, with “Hollywood” expectations.
  • Setting false expectations of GOD actually builds a barrier between me and HIM.
  • Setting false expectations of GOD gets my hopes up so high that they have a longer way to hit the ground.
  • Setting false expectations of GOD is actually arrogant especially when I’m telling HIM the plan to execute.

One of the criminals in this historical setting didn’t really believe in the Messiah, rather he heard JESUS could do tricks to help others. “Maybe I could get healed” could have been his thought as he insulted JESUS. He had a false expectation that JESUS would help him and his stony heart.

When I look at myself, I do the same as the insulting criminal. I treat GOD as common like HE is a pal, a peer or sometimes my servant.
  • I get upset at GOD for giving, who I call evil people, all the wealth and power they want while I see people who try to serve HIM suffer.
  • I get mad at GOD for not fixing my situation right away and even still bringing another situation into my life before the first is fixed.
  • I get angry at GOD for answering my prayer differently than I “expected.”
GOD’s plans cannot be changed by my prayer for many times my prayers are bathed in selfishness. HE actually changes me when I pray to be more accepting of HIS plans and HIS ways. HE changes my mind to forget “me” this time and to serve others like HE does.
  • Are you mad at GOD for not doing things your way?
  • How willing are you to ask HIM to keep you in the situation for as long as necessary to truly change you into what HE wants?
  • Will you admit to HIM you are a sinner and allow HIM to bring you into paradise?  

No comments:

Post a Comment