Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Believing “is” my job

John 6:  28 Then they asked him, “What must we do to do the works God requires?”
 29 Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”

============

Sitting alone in my apartment was great for me because I could finally feel a need to go back to church. This was no longer my parents’ decision but mine. After wasting many years I felt I needed to make up for lost time. I think I volunteered for everything in church. “GOD, this makes up for all my sinful years, right?”

  • I can never “work” away my sins.
  • I can never “work” my way into GOD’s approval.
  • I can never “work” hard enough to obtain eternal life.

I truly thought I could be “good” enough to erase the sin in my life.  In fact I stopped doing so many things soon I thought I was pretty “great.” I compared myself to my old “down trodden” friends and of course now I was better than them because they were still sinning and I wasn’t.

My attitude was smug and at that time I probably thought I could teach JESUS a thing or two.

  • The only job GOD has given me is to believe.
  • My one and only task in life that is paramount to anything is to believe.
  • The greatest thing I can do for people is to believe in JESUS.

Spreading the great news about JESUS does take work but the work doesn’t make me holy. My willingness to tell people about HIM coupled with my faith that HE is “the ONE” makes me holy. My righteousness is like, excuse the expression, a used tampon.

Many times I have the wrong attitude about working, giving, and living for GOD. It’s either out of obligation or out of guilt and shame that I press hard to do my part. GOD the FATHER gave up everything when HE gave HIS one and only SON. HE wants me to believe “everything” will be fine in spite of today’s circumstances.

HE wants me to believe all the way to death and that’s my only job.

  • Are you trying to work your way into heaven?
  • Have you turned from GOD because it seems too hard to follow HIS rules?
  • Have you been able to just “stand still” and watch the power of the LORD?
  • Can you get your hands off of GOD’s job and do yours, namely “believe?”

No comments:

Post a Comment