Thursday, November 3, 2011

I want to be free!

John 8:  31 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. 32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.”

============

Sitting next to the window I could see a bird soar. How I dreamt I could be outside again enjoying the warm weather but my daydream was cut short when the teacher asked me a question.

Later in life I walked to work after class one summer and I saw everyone gathering to have some fun. I longed to be with them but the punch-clock said different. Even later, I sat in a high pressured meeting with blame and accusations being tossed around and I remembered days with no responsibility. “I just want to be free!” I thought to myself.
  • My definition of freedom is missing an ingredient.
  • My definition of freedom is slightly off kilter.
  • My definition of freedom doesn’t always include GOD.
The way I define freedom means I am free “from” responsibilities, free “from” blame, free “from” doubt, free “from” worries. That sounds good until I add more. I want to be free “to” do what I want, free “to” run wild, free “to” have what I want to have, free “to” say what I want to say.

“What is so bad with all that?” you ask. My definition of freedom is bathed with selfishness. I don’t want to be bothered with “life” and I want to just check out from problems without facing them, this turns to blaming others and even worse blaming GOD for constraining me so much.
  • GOD wants me to serve people the way they need to be served.
  • GOD wants me to tell people I sin and JESUS took my punishment.
  • GOD wants me to continue to learn of HIS ways so I can truly be free.
Freedom is telling people I have lied. Freedom is telling people I have broken promises. Freedom is telling people I have fallen to many other sins. Now that my life is an open book, I am free to live without guilt. What a weight lifted off my chest. I have chained my life to JESUS and HIS truth has set me free!
  • Are you trying to hide something?
  • What sins are you committing that seem to hold you in captivity?
  • Do you realize GOD forgave you for “all” your sins?
  • Won’t you try to reduce your “sin diet” even though GOD set you free from death?
  • Do you know GOD’s truth instead of your own “truth?”

No comments:

Post a Comment