Tuesday, November 1, 2011

"That’s pretty judgmental of you"

John 8: 4 and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5 In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” 6 They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

   But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7 When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “Let any one of you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.

   9 At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there.

============

One defining moment of my life that told me I was on the wrong track was a conversation I had with my wife. Well actually she was my fiancée at the time. It was about a friend or relative deciding to “live” with someone.

By this time I was in the middle of study at a seminary and I quickly retorted to the position by saying “they shouldn’t be doing that.” She responded, “That’s pretty judgmental of you.” Wow! Was I on the wrong path?
  • GOD does not like when I go on a hunt looking for sinners to clean up.
  • GOD despises when I certify myself as being cleaner than someone else.
  • GOD loathes any act of tripping someone else up just to look better.
Many times I get confused with eradicating sin. Yes, I am supposed to teach others what GOD wants from me and that includes letting go of sin however the main message I need to say is JESUS died for the multitude of sins I commit daily!

Judging others who have not sinned against me is so easy to do. The news parades mean nasty people who deserve sentencing in front of me daily. My once positive outlook on life turned into blanket statements like “they shouldn’t be doing things like that!”
  • Instead of looking at the sin others commit, I need to seek the good GOD sees in them.
  • Instead of finding who to blame, I need to find who needs grace.
  • Instead of being very aware of GOD’s message of judgment, I need to become familiar with HIS message of mercy.
JESUS quietly bends down and writes my sins on the ground. “Cast a stone at that person you don’t know, I dare you” is what I hear. Now this doesn’t mean I should be a pushover and let a people sin against me without repercussion rather as I tell the person I must remember how I sinned against GOD and possibly them.
  • Are you ready to judge that person?
  • Have you admitted the sin you have committed?
  • Are you busy comparing yourself to someone else trying to look good to GOD?
  • Won’t you look at your own sins for a change and openly admit them to GOD and others?

No comments:

Post a Comment