Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Trying too hard to please GOD

John 15: 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.

============

Recalling my past sins seemed to fuel my drive to please GOD. I remember going to church early in the morning and leaving in the evening exhausted because I had volunteered for everything. From trustee chair to janitor, this church was not going to fail. I wonder what my family thought about that.
  • I should not seek “acceptance” that I already have from GOD.
  • I should not assume that my sin controls GOD’s actions.
  • I should not believe GOD is disappointed with me so I may as well sin.
It’s amazing how complicated I think it is to follow GOD and HIS ways. I dream up this false belief that when things are going well for me HE is pleased with me and when things seem bleak, HE must be punishing me for my sins. I try to get back on the straight and narrow but I fail over and over. How discouraging!
  • GOD says “Come to ME with your heavy hearts and learn of ME for MY yoke is easy and MY burden is light.”
  • GOD says “I want peace and joy to overfill your hearts.”
  • GOD says “Remain in ME and let my words guide every part of your life, then you will bear fruit.”
GOD has already packaged my life nicely.  HE doesn’t just let it be mundane and without problems, rather HE placed HIS words in me and allows me to go through the adventure of life. HE enables me to bear fruit in spite of my sins, trials and troubles. I don’t have to force GOD to love me because HE has already shown HIS love by dying for me.
  • Do you think GOD is not pleased with you?
  • Do you have the false notion that you can be good enough to make HIM pleased?
  • Can you believe HE loves you, especially with your flaws?
  • Will you take a moment to share with someone how GOD loves you in spite of your flaws?

No comments:

Post a Comment