Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Lying to GOD

Acts 5: 1 Now a man named Ananias, together with his wife Sapphira, also sold a piece of property. 2 With his wife’s full knowledge he kept back part of the money for himself, but brought the rest and put it at the apostles’ feet.

 3 Then Peter said, “Ananias, how is it that Satan has so filled your heart that you have lied to the Holy Spirit and have kept for yourself some of the money you received for the land? 4 Didn’t it belong to you before it was sold? And after it was sold, wasn’t the money at your disposal? What made you think of doing such a thing? You have not lied just to human beings but to God.”

 5 When Ananias heard this, he fell down and died. And great fear seized all who heard what had happened.

============

“LORD if YOU would just get me out of this situation, I will never do that again!” I said as I bargained with GOD thinking HE had caught me in my sin and was punishing me for it. “The escapades the night before must have caught up to me and this is why I have this intense pain in my chest!” I thought to myself.

I laid in my apartment in pain because the doctor’s office near me was closed. A day later I found out It was severe gas coupled with the normal pains of weightlifting.

  • GOD cannot be manipulated by my false promises.
  • GOD cannot me moved by my phony act of service.
  • GOD cannot be impressed by my false humility.

Wanting my way while serving GOD has been a struggle for me for years. I dreamt a sinful dream and ignored GOD in my pursuit. Needless to say I broke my promise with GOD, this time with no immediate consequence. “I bet HE is alright with my sin” I reasoned.

  • GOD wants me to worship HIM with my heart not just obligation.
  • GOD wants me to “want” to be with HIM.
  • GOD wants me to place HIM before anyone or anything.

Second, third and fiftieth chances are what GOD has given me over the years. HE taught me that it would be better not serving at all than serving to manipulate HIM. HE also taught me that serving HIM is supposed to be my pursuit so I should seek purity as best I can.

  • Have you ever made a false promise to GOD in order to look good to others?
  • Do you take your promises lightly?
  • When will you start seeking GOD the way HE wants you to seek HIM?

No comments:

Post a Comment