Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Stop making GOD a religion!

Acts 15: 10 Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of Gentiles a yoke that neither we nor our ancestors have been able to bear? 11 No! We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved, just as they are.”

============

Appreciation for worshipping in a different style was an acquired taste. I was a self-appointed church critic who gave many reasons why I didn’t attend churches. “This one was too loud” while “that one was too quiet” and “those people were too dressed up” and “those people were not dressed up enough” or “their music just isn’t my music.”

My list had grown quite long. I wonder if I can find a church who can meet my “high” standards!

  • My false expectation of what church should be gets in the way of hearing GOD.
  • My false expectation of how GOD should act takes my eyes off of what HE is doing around me.
  • My false expectation of who should be in “church” makes me seek “comfort” instead of seeking “GOD’s kingdom.”

Rules without grace do not equal a relationship with GOD. Whether it’s a dunk tank versus the ocean it’s still baptism. Whether its rock or rap it’s still singing. The “church” is not a building rather it is a group of broken people gathered together to prepare ourselves for JESUS.

  • I need to listen to what GOD is saying instead of criticizing the preacher.
  • I need to understand that GOD will deal with preachers who preach falsely so it’s not my job to be a critic.
  • I need to treat the gathering of broken people to turn our sins over to GOD as a very sacred time that GOD cherishes.

GOD is much more powerful than my rules; in fact HE doesn’t “need” my teaching, money or prayers. HE gets excited when I willingly gather with people who don’t look the same or act the same but we all are there for the same purpose namely to praise our LORD and SAVIOR who is JESUS.

  • Do you have expectations of what “church” should be?
  • Are you seeking GOD or are you looking for a club to belong to?
  • Can you drop your expectations on how you should “hear” GOD and just listen to HIM?

No comments:

Post a Comment