Monday, January 23, 2012

Who likes rejection?

Acts 13: 47 For this is what the Lord has commanded us:

   “‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles,
   that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’”

 48 When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.

 49 The word of the Lord spread through the whole region. 50 But the Jewish leaders incited the God-fearing women of high standing and the leading men of the city. They stirred up persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them from their region. 51 So they shook the dust off their feet as a warning to them and went to Iconium. 52 And the disciples were filled with joy and with the Holy Spirit.

============

Walking across the dance floor seemed like the longest walk in the world. I don’t know how but the boys always ended up on one side and the girls on the other. With confidence I asked someone to dance and with dejection I lurked back over to my friends who were busy laughing.

I mean all I wanted was a dance. Why did I get rejected in front of my friends?

  • Many times I don’t speak about CHRIST because I don’t want to get rejected.
  • Many times I don’t speak about CHRIST because I want to keep my status.
  • Many times I don’t speak about CHRIST because I don’t want to look like a religious fanatic.

Memories of public rejection actually helped me become bolder about speaking about JESUS. I mean actually it was quite funny when I replay the rejection in my mind.  Hair uncombed, untrendy clothes and glasses as large as windshields made for a situation comedy that I later learned to laugh at.

  • When I don’t take myself too seriously I can share my issues with others and speak about JESUS.
  • When I understand that some people will accept what GOD has to say and others won’t, it makes it easier to speak about JESUS.
  • When I drop “my way” and understand “GOD’s way” then I know the person is not rejecting “me” but they are rejecting GOD’s message.

Paul and Barnabas fully understood their words would be twisted but they insisted on telling people about JESUS and spoke to those who would listen.

  • Are you afraid of being rejected?
  • Are you afraid of looking weird because you speak about JESUS?
  • Are you more afraid of humans or are you afraid of not following what GOD wants you to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment