Wednesday, April 11, 2012

How to settle an argument

Romans 12: 9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. 10 Be devoted to one another in love. Honor one another above yourselves. 11 Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. 12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13 Share with the Lord’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

============

Disagreements can happen with love but where do arguments fall? I mean when I argue with my family I feel no one wins.  After a while I can become so good at arguing that the point of companionship is missed. Am I missing something?

  • It’s alright to disagree but I lose when “I win.”
  • It’s alright to have a different opinion but when my opinion overshadows my relationship I lose.
  • It’s alright to get upset at times but when my anger is directed at the people I’m supposed to love nobody wins.

“Love must be sincere” is a statement that just eats at my stony heart. I mean what about “me?” Don’t I have a say in the argument? Well GOD says a lot about how to handle disagreements.

  • GOD tells me to “Hate what is evil; cling to what is good” so I have to examine myself.
  • GOD says to me “Be devoted to one another in love” which causes me to pick and choose my battles.
  • GOD tells me to “Honor one another above yourselves” so I have to learn another person’s way.
  • GOD says to me “Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the LORD.”
  • GOD tell me to be patient, faithful, prayerful, generous and hospitable so I will be too busy acting like HIM to even notice the dispute.

This is a difficult list for me to follow. I get cranky, selfish and argumentative. GOD says “Take it a day at a time and watch MY results.”

  • Are you at odds with someone?
  • Does it seem like your relationship is disintegrating?
  • Can you follow what GOD is telling you to do?
  • Won’t you try at least one thing HE is telling you?

No comments:

Post a Comment