Monday, May 21, 2012

GOD’s definition of love

1 Corinthians 13:Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

============

Is “Love” a feeling or an action? This thought crossed my mind as I read the passage so I did a “Love inventory” and found my shelves to be empty. I mean I enjoy “feeling” loved when GOD dishes out these things to me, but am I showing others the same? Probably not.

  • Let me check my inventory:
  • Patience, I have slim to none.
  • Kindness, I could use a lot of work here.
  • Envy, I have plenty of that.
  • Boasting, I’m the best!
  • Pride, check out my awards.
  • Dishonor others, just cross me and see.
  • Self-seeking, check out my lust list.
  • Not easily angered, these words made me mad!
  • Keeps no record of wrongs, I remember everything and they will pay!
  • Does not delight in evil, and I was waiting for my enemy’s demise.
  • Rejoices in truth, except when the truth is about me.
  • Always protects, I throw people under the bus.
  • Always trusts, I’m quite suspicious.
  • Always hopes, I get nervous.
  • Always perseveres, I give up!

When I look at what GOD expects me to show others I get quite embarrassed. On a good day, I may show two or three of these qualities. HE always shows HIS love for me and uses this list consistently.  HE wants others not to reject this list and turn towards HIM.

HE forgives and takes my sin and throws it away. HE has been extremely patient with me and always protects me, always is faithful, always delivers and always perseveres through difficulty. GOD loves me and wants me to show love to others.

  • Have you taken a “Love inventory?”
  • Do you think your “provision” or “intellect” or “financial status” is showing GOD’s love?
  • Can you recalibrate your love to add more of HIS type of love?
  • Can you forgive yourself long enough to show others this type of love?

No comments:

Post a Comment