Friday, May 4, 2012

Married folks work it out.

1 Corinthians 7: 10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife.11 

============

Seven O’clock was approaching rapidly and the guests would arrive soon.  The dimmer switch I had neglected to install was just sitting there.  “I know… I’ll install it now” I brilliantly said to myself!

I mean it would only take a few minutes. Meanwhile, my wife was busy cleaning and preparing for guests to come over. When a wire broke I had a sinking feeling this five minute effort would extend into a much longer venture. It did!

Marriage is not easy but it’s worth it. Marriage isn’t easy BUT it’s worth it. Yes I said that twice. Two personalities coming together to form one is usually met with turbulence and we were not immune. I can only speak for my half of my marriage. I brought baggage that needed to be unpacked.

  • A reason GOD loves marriage is it makes me make concessions instead of going full force on my own faulty direction.
  • A reason GOD loves marriage is it models a relationship I have with HIM.
  • A reason GOD loves marriage is it shows me the need to bring others along rather than being a lone superstar.

Paul told single people he would rather they remain single so they could serve the LORD intently.  I understand but I view marriage as a blessed institution that I should be focused on GOD with similar intensity.

  • Problems develop when I am not focused on GOD’s way of doing marriage.
  • Problems pop up when I think “I’m all that” instead of being humble in marriage.
  • Problems seep in when I focus on issues rather than GOD in marriage.

One thing I’ve learned to ask while being married is “LORD how do you want things to go?” Every time I’ve asked that question, HE has answered with LOVE.

  • Are you fighting in your marriage?
  • Can you take time to stop and work it out?
  • Can you view marriage as GOD’s rather than yours?
  • If you are single can you serve GOD intently without looking to be married?

No comments:

Post a Comment