Thursday, May 10, 2012

What prize are you seeking?

1 Corinthians 9: 24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. 25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

============

Our church did a challenge where they put some extreme ideas on cards and placed them in a basket. Each person selected one and was supposed to pray about actually doing the thing that was on the card. I thought this was a way for the church to get me to do some sort of service so I accepted the challenge. I reached in and pulled my card and it said “Run a marathon.”

Now I’m training for a marathon. It takes hours of preparation and mental fortitude. I wonder if I should apply any of this to how I serve others.

  • I work hard at “work” only to receive a little more money.
  • I work hard at “play” to perfect my golf or bowling movements only to receive satisfaction.
  • I work hard at “training” for the marathon and I only hope to finish the race.

I spend a lot of time working and scheduling relaxation time and doing many things in life that will only get me a prize that will “not last.” All the money I have earned, the house, clothes and cars I bought, and the trophies and knick knacks I have achieved will one day be thrown away.

I’m not saying not to strive for perfection nor am I saying that it’s not worth the effort to achieve things. I am saying GOD wants me to focus on HIM being the greatest prize that I can seek. I should seek HIM now, not later. Many times I put GOD on hold while I achieve what I set out to achieve. HE wants me to stop my busy schedule and make time for HIM.

  • Do you seek GOD’s rewards more than you seek human awards?
  • Are you busy trying to get the approval of humans rather than serving people the way GOD wants you to serve them?
  • Won’t you serve a person who is thirsty, a cup of GOD’s water today?

No comments:

Post a Comment