Friday, June 15, 2012

Got any spare change?

2 Corinthians: 13 Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed, but that there might be equality. 14 At the present time your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need. The goal is equality, 15 as it is written: “The one who gathered much did not have too much, and the one who gathered little did not have too little.”

============

My first assignment downtown was an eye-opener. As I stepped off the train I found myself marching to the rhythm of the massive crowd migrating toward my destination. Amongst the flurry of activity of taxis, coffee shops and traffic I heard a voice, “got any spare change?” Of course I do was my first response and I donated gladly.

Days, months and years into the routine my zeal for giving turned into a critical statement. “Look at them… I bet they are using the money for drugs or alcohol. I’m not giving my hard earned money to them.” Then it hit me, I forgot to make my reservations in the three star hotel for our vacation. Three stars instead of five kept me humble right?

  • Many times I avoid people in need.
  • Many times I avoid direct contact with someone who wants something because I think I don’t have enough to give.
  • Many times I rationalize not giving and wind up using the money on myself.

It is extremely easy to avoid giving. In fact the more I had the easier it was to avoid seeing people who truly needed my help. I found myself in conversations with people discussing wine cellars and humidors when at one point I didn’t even know what those things were. Lavish vacations were quite enjoyable BUT GOD wants something different.

  • GOD says “The poor you will always have” and HE desires I seek to serve when I’m wealthy or be served when I’m poor.
  • GOD says “When you serve someone a cup of water you have served ME” so HE wants me to seek other to serve.
  • GOD says “Show and share your talents and I will give you more” which means HE will give as long as I’m willing to give.

GOD isn’t looking to make me wealthy just to be a snob, HE wants me to give when I have plenty and if HE takes my wealth away HE wants me to accept gifts from others. Humility in giving and accepting gifts is GOD’s balance.

  • Are you nervous about giving?
  • Do you think you don’t have enough to give?
  • Are you hoarding money for yourself or are you purposefully seeking opportunities to give?
  • Does GOD want you to give to “that” person today?

No comments:

Post a Comment