Thursday, June 14, 2012

What kind of “sorry” should I use?

2 Corinthians 7: 10 Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death. 11 See what this godly sorrow has produced in you: what earnestness, what eagerness to clear yourselves, what indignation, what alarm, what longing, what concern, what readiness to see justice done. At every point you have proved yourselves to be innocent in this matter.

============

Let’s not dwell on how fast I was going when the policeman pulled me over. Let’s focus on my “usual” practice. I had my speech all ready and prepared in my mind in hopes I would not get a ticket. “I’m sorry officer” were the first words out of my mouth but his response surprised me and sticks with me to this day.

“Are you sorry you did this or sorry you got caught?” Wow, I never thought of it that way. I wonder what kind of sorry I was.

  • Sometimes I say I’m sorry because I feel that’s what the other person wants to hear.
  • Sometimes I say I’m sorry just to end the conflict.
  • Sometimes I say I’m sorry to get out of trouble and hopefully get away with what I’m doing.

GOD sees the depths of my heart. HE knows if I am truly “sorry” or not. HE can see when I am trying to get my way versus truly being accepting of whatever punishment I deserve. HE knows how I would act if I were truly “sorry.”

  • When I show “GODLY sorrow” I want to change my ways.
  • When I show “GODLY sorrow” I desire for everyone to know what I’ve done instead of hiding it.
  • When I show “GODLY sorrow” I seek to find what GOD wants me to do rather than trying to look good in front of everyone.

It’s not easy to admit when I have wronged someone or when I have blatantly disregarded GOD but when I use “GODLY sorrow” my mindset changes and HE delivers me out of the circumstance with a little punishment. Yes I said a little punishment and well deserved, but afterwards HIS mercy leads me to salvation and “no regret.”

  • Have you been committing blatant sins and have no intention of changing your ways?
  • Are you busy looking at what other people are doing and not looking at yourself?
  • Can you admit things to GOD and accept HIS actions?
  • Will you seek “GODLY sorrow” today?

No comments:

Post a Comment