Thursday, June 7, 2012

Where does my confidence come from?

2 Corinthians 3:Such confidence we have through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant —not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

============

After hours of study I felt prepared.  You would think I would have done this kind of studying my entire academic career but this time it was do or die.  My vigorous study came after I had been placed on academic probation which meant if I did not pull my grades up I would be kicked out of college. “LORD I need your help” I cried out.  

I actually got on the dean’s list for great grades that semester.

  • Sometimes I think “I” am smarter than I give GOD credit for.
  • Sometimes I believe it takes extra effort from “me” instead of asking GOD.
  • Sometimes I surmise that I know it all and I need not consult GOD on my affairs.

GOD says “it is a fool who says there is no GOD” and I was acting as if HE didn’t exist. I never consulted HIM, never reflected on HIM and did not commune with HIM but when I wanted something I was willing to act deserving and then blame HIM when the answer was “No.”

When I got on probation in the first place I asked GOD to give me all the knowledge I needed at the last minute. Obviously “no” was the answer. That situation made me think about GOD a little differently.

  • My wisdom comes from GOD but I should ask for it instead of expecting it.
  • My competence comes from GOD but I still have to work at honing my craft.
  • My confidence comes from GOD but I still have to face the issues and solve the problems of today.

My expectations should be centered around GOD and HIS power.  Wisdom, knowledge and understanding are gifts I cannot take credit for.  At all turns, I need to thank GOD for what HE has bestowed on me.

  • Do you think you are smart?
  • Do you believe you have it all together?
  • Can you stop looking at yourself and give GOD credit for your wisdom?
  • Won’t you use the wisdom HE has given you to further HIS kingdom?

No comments:

Post a Comment