Friday, August 10, 2012

Ease off on my measure of others

Ephesians 5:But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people. Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.

For of this you can be sure: No immoral, impure or greedy person—such a person is an idolater —has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God’s wrath comes on those who are disobedient. Therefore do not be partners with them.

============

“Oh no, they won’t let me in heaven” I thought to myself as I read this passage.  I mean I have experienced all that was written here. I wanted to rewrite the Bible and take the words “even a hint” out. What this is saying is I can’t get full of myself and look down on what someone else is doing.

Television, magazines and billboards promote sex, greed and lust that I easily fall into. Who can save me from GOD’s wrath?
 
  • Sensuality is a weapon against me to lure me away from focusing on GOD.
  • Greed is a weapon that enables me to fear losing money causing me to doubt GOD’s power.
  • Obscene, foolish talk and coarse joking helps me fit in but wastes my time when I could be focused on growing myself or someone else.

It seems hopeless doesn’t it?  I mean isn’t everyone a little lustful or greedy or envious? Not everyone! JESUS volunteered to become a human and was tempted in every way. HE lived years and years without committing a sin and people who attended church regularly murdered HIM because HE told them about their lust and greed and they didn’t listen.

  • GOD wants me to work at being pure because the SON forgave me for my impurity.
  • GOD wants me to work on being generous because the SON forgave me for my greed.
  • GOD wants me to work on being an encourager because the SON forgave me for my foul, coarse joking.

Instead of comparing myself to others I must read what GOD says about me.  HE doesn’t expect me to be perfect nor do I have to die for the sins of mankind, but the more I can focus on following what GOD wants me to, the more HE will reward me.

  • Are you caught up in sexual immorality?
  • Do you desire more stuff?
  • Are you nervous about losing you stuff?
  • Are you trying to fit in with the wrong group?
  • Won’t you give up some of these things little by little and focus on GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment