Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Peaceful Contentment

Philippians 4: 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 
I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

============

Money was my motivator. You want me to do something, show me the money. Little did I know I had a greater motivator, namely fear. When the account was slipping away from us I worked extremely hard to keep everything going.

I worked thirty six hours straight, forsaking meals and family. We still lost the account and I found myself on the “bench.” “If I stayed there too long I could lose my job”, I thought to myself. I missed the fact that leaving my family and forgetting my health may have caused problems. 
  • When I am poor I worry about paying bills.
  • When I am in the middle I worry about becoming rich.
  • When I am rich I worry about losing my wealth.
  • When I am discontent I complain about GOD’s plan.
Each of my worries shows my discontentment. GOD couldn’t possibly be right with “this” plan I would think to myself. I mean HE wants me to keep moving forward right? Maybe… but with what kind of attitude?

It seems like I am always waiting for the other shoe to drop. In other words I am always waiting for things to “get better” rather than looking at the greatness that’s going on around me. 
  • GOD wants me to have peace in the middle of each storm.
  • GOD wants me to be content when HE gives me plenty and when HE takes my wealth away.
  • GOD wants me to have peace during times of crisis.
  • GOD wants me to be content when things aren’t going quite the way I planned.
From the inconvenient car accident to the bag of money falling out of the sky, GOD wants me to view HIS plan as being great. HE desires that I follow HIM and look to HIM for my strength rather than looking at my wealth.
  • Are you seeking more money or more stuff?
  • What trinket or gadget or title or group is holding you back from your contentment?
  • Can you assess you desire to see if it is greater than your love for GOD?
  • Are you willing to leave that thing and accept what GOD wants you to have?
  • Can you focus your ambitions on what GOD wants?

No comments:

Post a Comment