Friday, September 21, 2012

LORD am I worthy to handle my desires?

2 Thessalonians 1: 11 With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that our God may make you worthy of his calling, and that by his power he may bring to fruition your every desire for goodness and your every deed prompted by faith. 12 We pray this so that the name of our Lord Jesus may be glorified in you, and you in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

============

When I heard the familiar tinkling of “Pop Goes the Weasel” or “Turkey in the Straw”, like a dog in a psych experiment, I wanted some ice cream from the truck even if dinner was minutes away.  When a pretty girl batted her eye at my wallet, like a showman’s puppet, I would fall for the possibility.

When a title or large responsibility would surface, I put on my Peacock feathers and paraded around hoping to be noticed. I would forsake my family and friends to move to the next level. In many cases my desires led to disappointment.

  • When my desires are not coupled with GOD then I face disappointment.
  • When my desires are focused only on what’s in it for me then I face failure.
  • When my desires are targeted on the shiny new thing then I lose my peace if I don’t get it immediately.

My desires aren’t always aligned with GOD’s ways.  In fact many of my desires lead me on a path that is quite opposite of GOD.  I wonder if I am worthy to handle my desires.

  • Since GOD knows my heart HE can develop situations where my desires are HIS desires.
  • Since GOD knows my ways HE can orchestrate scenarios where my sinful desires fail and “good” desires grow fruit.
  • Since GOD knows my mind HE can provide all that I need in spite of my worries, doubts and fears.

Yes, GOD knows my every thought and some of them are actually good! HE places wonderful desires in my mind to serve others, fight fear and most of all, to love HIM. When I ask HIM for stuff, I make the mistake of thinking I can handle that specific desire. I should ask HIM if I am ready for whatever my desire is and be willing to accept HIS answer.

  • What do you desire?
  • Are your desires aligned with GOD’s desires for you?
  • Do you find yourself achieving your desires only to face consequence over and over?
  • Can you ask GOD to guide your desires?

No comments:

Post a Comment