Monday, October 15, 2012

Just say “No!”

Titus 2: 11 For the grace of God has appeared that offers salvation to all people. 12 It teaches us to say “No” to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age,
13 while we wait for the blessed hope—the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good.

============

Rain delayed the busses and everyone, including me, piled on the first bus that appeared. Standing room only forced us to be pushed to the seedier area of the bus where “that” guy felt compelled to light up his “homegrown” cigarette at six O’clock in the morning. He peered at me with a grin and asked “Want some?” That was an easy “NO!”

Later that day some of my friends said they were going to a party that night. I said I probably wouldn’t be allowed to go and they suggested that I sneak out. “Hmm, that’s not a bad idea” I thought to myself. The problem was I couldn’t come up with a good lie, our house was too small and my parents seemed to be awake at crazy hours. “How are you getting out of your house?” I asked.

  • The world will always offer me something that seems “better” than GOD.
  • The world will always want me to jump in on activities that are against GOD.
  • The world will always invite me to join in activities that don’t please GOD but since “everyone” else is doing it maybe HE won’t mind.

The HOLY SPIRIT was place inside anyone who believes that JESUS (GOD) voluntarily allowed HIMSELF to be murdered by HIS own creation and is now living. The HOLY SPIRIT teaches me to say “NO” to the temptations of the world and HE comforts me “when” I decide to fall.

Little by little HE teaches me to take baby steps toward HIM and every time I fall, HE is right there to pick me up. CHRIST did the heavy lifting by removing eternal death from me. All I have to do is accept HIS gift and be purified. I can now take my baby steps toward HIM.

  • Are you tempted to do something you know is wrong?
  • Are you avoiding GOD so you can keep doing what you are doing?
  • Can you turn toward HIM just a little today?
  • Won’t you say “No” to that temptation and know that if you fall HE is there to pick you up?

No comments:

Post a Comment