Monday, October 8, 2012

The marathon of life

2 Timothy 2:Similarly, anyone who competes as an athlete does not receive the victor’s crown except by competing according to the rules.

------

11 Here is a trustworthy saying:
   If we died with him,
    we will also live with him;
12 if we endure,
    we will also reign with him.
If we disown him,
    he will also disown us;
13 if we are faithless,
    he remains faithful,
    for he cannot disown himself.

============

Shivering, we huddled together as strangers to keep warm. When the National Anthem was sung, 45,000 of my best friends and me set off on our journey. Right around mile fourteen or fifteen I noticed a street leading to where the other runners were running back.

I thought to myself, “I wonder if they would notice if I just ducked down that street as my private shortcut. I mean, I’m not going to win the marathon anyway so who would it hurt?

  • When I make my own rules in life I throw out the real rules.
  • When I make my own rules then no one can win except me.
  • When I make my own rules then I can adjust the rules for some and not for others.

GOD gave me a book to follow because I normally would not look at HIM or accept HIM. HE doesn’t want me to be a “rule” follower within my relationship with HIM, but HE does want me to treat HIS other humans with the love and compassion HE has for me.

HIS rules include things like “love others as I would love myself” and “treat others with higher respect than myself.” I’ve noticed me and many of my friends not following the latter of the two during political discussions.

In order to truly follow GOD I must endure, just like the marathon. No short cuts to loving others, I should just love them as they are. When I am faithless, GOD is faithful but HE cannot tolerate if I reject HIS SON or HIS SPIRIT HE wants to give me because of JESUS’ death.

  • Are you trying to take shortcuts with your relationship with GOD?
  • Is there someone who is difficult to love that you are not showing love to?
  • Can you go the extra mile for the people who are hard to serve or love?
  • Won’t you accept CHRIST and remain with HIM the rest of your life if you haven’t already?

No comments:

Post a Comment