Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Winning the argument loses the battle

2 Timothy 2: 23 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. 24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.

25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

============

When I know someone is lying, I feel compelled to expose them even if I have nothing to do with the conversation. I mean they are lying! I would ride my horse around, you know, the high one? I would jump in places I thought my two cents would be worth to add.

In other words I would stick my nose in a conversation I did not have all of the facts in and look for tiny fights. My goal was to “win” and my opponent, well they may not have even known they were an opponent, but I still “won” right?

  • When I look for something to be wrong I will find it.
  • When I look for someone to fight I will find them.
  • When I look for an argument I will start it.

My trigger is short for some and long for others.  I mean some people know just the right buttons to press and I automatically go into boxing stance! GOD wants something different.

  • GOD wants me to kind instead of quarrelsome so my life will draw people to HIM.
  • GOD wants me to teach people so my argument is not as important as the lesson GOD wants to teach.
  • GOD wants me to be respectful to people not resentful because ultimately GOD will win them over.

I love “winning” an argument but that is not the goal. I also dislike when my kindness is mistake for weakness. It takes tremendous strength to treat others the way GOD wants me to treat them even though I feel like fighting. GOD wants me to hope they will one day come to their senses and escape the devil’s trap.

  • Are you ready to argue with someone?
  • Do you have irreconcilable differences?
  • Are you the person spreading slander and picking fights?
  • Can you be the first to drop your guards for GOD’s purpose?

No comments:

Post a Comment