Wednesday, November 28, 2012

I believe in prayer

James 5: 13 Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. 14 Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven.

============

“My shift is almost over” I thought to myself. Some guys entered the bowling alley with surly attitudes and summoned me “around the corner” to ask a question about an item we were selling. With glass case separating us I sort of felt safe but something was wrong this time.

Some guys distracted my coworkers at the front while I, the lone sheep, remained split from the flock. When they pulled out the gun I knew I had no place to run. I hadn’t been to church in a while, nor had I talked to GOD very much but that was the first thing on my mind!

  • It’s amazing how fast I run towards GOD when I’m in trouble.
  • It’s amazing how much I beg GOD for help when I’m sick.
  • It’s amazing how much I seek GOD when something is wrong.

Prayer is exactly what GOD wants on a regular basis but I have used it simply to get out of situations. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with praying during dire situations. In fact that’s exactly what I should be doing. What I’m saying is prayer shouldn’t be the last thing I do rather in most instances it’s the “only” thing I should be doing.

  • I should pray when I’m in trouble and GOD will calm me in the midst of the storm.
  • I should pray when things are going well and GOD will keep me from temptations that easily tear me from HIM.
  • I should pray when others are sick or down and GOD will heal them and forgive them.

Prayer is extremely powerful when used unselfishly. Prayer coupled with the right motive and right attitude outdoes any action I can conjure up. When I pray I’m actually saying to GOD I accept whatever outcome YOU choose rather than trying to manipulate HIM. HE always answers a prayer where HE is the center and that’s a good thing!

  • Are you in trouble?
  • Are you happy?
  • Are you sick?
  • Can you pray a prayer of praise before you ask HIM to fix your problem?
  • Won’t you use prayer more often just to have a nice conversation with GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment