1 John 2: 9 Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister is still in the darkness.10 Anyone who loves their brother and sister lives in the light, and there is nothing in them to make them stumble. 11 But anyone who hates a brother or sister is in the darkness and walks around in the darkness. They do not know where they are going, because the darkness has blinded them.
If there is one thing I can’t stand, it’s a bully. I mean it seems like I have run into them all my life. I mean there was the guy in fifth grade and there was another in high school and some more at work only they bullied with words.
“I just HATE them” is what I felt so I began pushing back. I mean bullies aren’t going to push me around anymore! I lifted weights to fend off the physical bully, and learned snappy, cutting retorts to slice down the political bully. Soon I found myself going after these bullies because I could stand toe to toe with them.
- Mild forms of hatred turn into large forms of hatred with me.
- Mild forms of hatred are disguised in me as “things I don’t like” about that person.
- Mild forms of hatred expose themselves when I could care less what happens to the person.
Even when I isolate myself or segregate myself or even separate myself from them it still doesn’t seem to work. I still think about them and stew over what they have done. I don’t want them to have mercy, BUT GOD does.
- GOD wants me to love people, especially my enemies.
- GOD wants me to love people, even those who are difficult to love.
- GOD wants me to love people, ignoring their sin to win them over.
It is not GOD’s wish that anyone perish so why do I give up on that person so easily? GOD desires that I have patience with them because HE has patience with me.
- Do you dislike someone?
- Is there someone in your life who just makes you sick?
- Is there a popular person who you just rile about?
- Can you turn your thoughts into positive ones for “that” person?
- Won’t you try to understand GOD’s love for you AND “that” person?