Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Do I really “need” GOD?

1 John 1:If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word is not in us.

============

No more drinking was my vow to the LORD. I wanted to remain sober to do GOD’s work. No more cursing or cussin’ was my vow to the LORD. I didn’t want to “offend” other people because I was doing GOD’s work. No more offensive jokes wasn’t a vow but I figured I shouldn’t do that either.

Soon I felt like a spiritual giant.  I mean I had rid myself of “all” my sin and I could no longer hang out with the folks who were still “not pleasing” GOD. I could only listen to songs with GOD in it and news from stations where only GOD was mentioned. "Those" people would drag me down and besides, “I stopped sinning, so should they!”

  • There are times where I think I can get “better” from my sinful state.
  • There are times where I think there are different levels of sin and the sin I’m doing isn’t really sin when you compare it to “that” person.
  • There are times where I think I haven’t sinned today simply because I didn’t do the same sin I did yesterday.

It’s real easy to compare myself with others as a measure of “how well I’m doing with GOD.” I mean I see someone serving and I think I should out-serve that person or I hear of someone giving and maybe I should out-give that person.  Soon I’m in an atmosphere where I think I must be pleasing GOD because I’m not only serving people and giving but I’m not sinning too.

I must be doing great with the LORD.  Since I’m not sinning I can “judge” others so they will stop sinning and they will “fit” in with “us.” So why does it feel like I’m running out of energy?

  • GOD wants me to examine myself to realize I will always need HIM to save me.
  • GOD wants me to tell people about my sins to make them feel comfortable enough to confess their sins.
  • GOD wants me to let people know that the more they confess about themselves the larger their ministry will grow.

I was great at the spiritual act. I could put on the “walk on water” face and really look good but I found that I was actually repulsive to others and probably GOD. In fact I acted like I didn’t need GOD because I was already clean! GOD says to me "the only way to healing is by confession." In other words HE can fix me if I admit “I’m” broken.

  • Do you think you are better than “that” person because of a sin they did?
  • Do you think that just because you aren’t doing certain sins then you are clean?
  • Can you examine yourself further to see what barriers you are building up between you and GOD?
  • Could you possibly be facing the sin of “omission” or “exclusion” by not seeking the needs of people who don’t act or look like you?

No comments:

Post a Comment