Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I’m learning how to follow GOD

2 Peter 1:For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge;
and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.

============

Lonely and rock bottom was my location. I hadn’t been to church in years and I didn’t know anyone in town. The bar scene was old and I felt a bit empty.  “There has to be more to life than this” I said to myself.  I ran into someone who invited me to their church. What a strange request. I didn’t know how to respond. I mean where to start on my “messy” life?

  • Sometimes I think I can “arrive” during my life.
  • Sometimes I compare my life to other people and I set my happiness according to who I see.
  • Sometimes I think my sins are greater than GOD’s forgiveness and HE will never take me back.

My faith in GOD was tiny at that time.  I actually believed people could reach a sinless state and those who attended church were better than me. I mean they wore suits and went around quoting the Bible. I didn’t know the Bible and I definitely wasn’t “good.”  “Maybe I shouldn’t go to church” I mean would GOD take me back?

  • Going to church doesn’t make me holier but I can meet with other sinners.
  • I can never be “good” enough to save myself but I can be better than I used to be because I’m grateful for GOD’s forgiveness.
  • I will never know all I need to know about GOD but I can learn a little more about HIM just by seeking HIM.
  • I will sin but GOD helps me with self-control, perseverance and godliness in order to mature in HIS ways.

Godliness helps me see other people and their needs. I can then drop my selfishness and show them love instead of always trying to get what I want. Believing is just the beginning of my faith. GOD matures me little by little, step by step.

  • Is your life off track?
  • Do you think GOD won’t forgive you “this” time?
  • Can you stop looking at other people and just learn about GOD to see what HE wants for you?

1 comment:

  1. I doubt sanctification in such a measure as well. Although in contrast to The World; such perceived sinlessness makes sense. One can be a better person when opposing The World; but that one is still a sin...At least in my view; and perhaps only because being an island can lead to an isolated want for The World.

    But then again, that is me.

    ReplyDelete