Friday, January 4, 2013

Where does my fear come from?

1 John 4: 18 There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.
19 We love because he first loved us.

============

“Come into my office” snorted my gruff boss. “We’re sending you to lead a new division” he grunted with a look of dissatisfaction. “Why? Did I do something wrong?” I replied. I mean, I thought I was doing everything right.  I quickly tried to retrace my footsteps.

“This is a good thing! Quit worrying!” was his reply. I had no idea this move was from the head of the department which was my a few levels above my boss.

  • Sometimes I think the worst is going to happen to me.
  • Sometimes I think GOD is punishing me because I’m not getting my way.
  • Sometimes I look into the future and I see problems, fears and doubts.

When I wake up worrying about bills, job status, or acceptance, I had no idea I wasn’t “trusting” GOD. I believe in HIM and even know about HIM but where is my trust “in” HIM? I am a planner with a flaw. I try to “plan” my way out of situations ordained by GOD and instead of trusting that HE knows what HE is doing, I fret at potential losses and casualties. What can I do about this?

  • GOD wants me to trust HIS plan even when it seems different than my goals.
  • GOD desires that I trust HIM especially during difficult times.
  • GOD wishes that I trust HIS unfailing love for me instead of looking at HIM as the great punisher.

I guess that’s why GOD doesn’t want me to sin.  Not because when I sin, HE has to punch me in the face rather when I sin, I run away from GOD in fear of retribution from HIM. My sin causes doubt in GOD’s plan and soon I doubt HIS love and I become a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom.

GOD wants me to trust HIM to let HIM take things away from me as well as give me things when I can handle them. HIS perfect love removes my fear.

  • Are you worried about something?
  • Do you know GOD has a great plan for you?
  • Can you believe HE can’t wait to see you succeed?
  • Won’t you accept that the FATHER, JESUS and the HOLY SPIRIT are all pulling for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment