Monday, April 8, 2013

How should I act when I am wrong?



Genesis 32: 4 He instructed them: “This is what you are to say to my lord Esau: ‘Your servant Jacob says, I have been staying with Laban and have remained there till now. 5 I have cattle and donkeys, sheep and goats, male and female servants. Now I am sending this message to my lord, that I may find favor in your eyes.’”

============

With the aroma of a freshly cooked meal I returned to work. Thinking my plot had worked I went home for the day.  The next day my supervisor popped in for a surprise visit. He said hello and left.  He then popped in again about 30 minutes later. He said these words that are etched in my mind, “I am very disappointed in you. I thought you were different and I find you sneaking off work.” To this day I wish I could apologize to him.

  • When I mess up, it eats at me.
  • When I mess up, I feel like I’m on the outside.
  • When I mess up, I really want to fix what I broke.


I guess I’m wired to be a fixer. When it seems like something is broken I try to fix it, especially broken relationships. But what happen if I really messed up? How should I act?

  • GOD wants me to humble myself when I mess up.
  • GOD wants me to lower my expectations of thinking “I” can fix the situation.
  • GOD wants me to depend on HIM to work on everyone’s heart including mine to mend the relationship.


Jacob had stolen his brothers’ inheritance and their father’s heart. He was deceitful and crafty and when GOD told him to return to his brother he was full of fear. His expectations were very low about the relationship so he sent a bribe ahead of his meeting. GOD made him humble and HE wants me to be the same.

  • Are you struggling to find a situation where you were wrong?
  • Do you even realize when you are wrong?
  • Are you going to hold on to your wrong and try to justify it?
  • Won’t you humble yourself and apologize, maybe even send a gift?


No comments:

Post a Comment