Monday, April 15, 2013

Jealousy doesn’t make me right



Genesis 37:Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made an ornate robe for him. When his brothers saw that their father loved him more than any of them, they hated him and could not speak a kind word to him.

Joseph had a dream, and when he told it to his brothers, they hated him all the more.

============

Studying hard had paid off. My coworker and I were at the top of our class and became highly sought after in our office. That all fell apart when this smooth talking guy was hired.  He didn’t know all the information that my coworker and I knew yet he was getting the glamorous assignments.  I didn’t like that guy.  I wonder if we should have plotted against him.

Jealousy blinds me to my own abilities.
Jealousy makes me think I am inadequate.
Jealousy causes me to see things that aren’t there.

When I look at the fortune someone else has I get jealous and turn into a pouter. Instead of being happy for the person and celebrating, my jealousy kicks in and I say, “Why isn’t that happening to me?” or “Why is ‘that’ creepy person making it and I’m not?”

Celebrating with others actually helps me grow.
Congratulating others puts me in a mindset of gratitude rather than one of despair.
Complimenting others forces me to find the good in the person rather than seeing their flaws.

Instead of being jealous, envious and spiteful, GOD wants me to be gracious enough to actually enjoy what other people are accomplishing in spite of where I’m at. GOD wants me to show love as an example to draw mankind to HIM.

Can you recognize jealousy in yourself?
Are you focusing on what you don’t have and what others have?
Are you “half” complimenting GOD by giving thanks to HIM and turning around and complaining about what you don’t have?
Can you turn your jealousy and envy into compliments and gratitude?

No comments:

Post a Comment