Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Should I get involved?



Genesis 34:When Jacob heard that his daughter Dinah had been defiled, his sons were in the fields with his livestock; so he did nothing about it until they came home.

Then Shechem’s father Hamor went out to talk with Jacob. Meanwhile, Jacob’s sons had come in from the fields as soon as they heard what had happened. They were shocked and furious, because Shechem had done an outrageous thing in Israel by sleeping with Jacob’s daughter—a thing that should not be done.

============

Flight delay number two got me home extremely late.  I just wanted to go to bed but, alas, I had to drive home. As I reached my neighborhood, I noticed a car with four people sitting in it parked near my block. It was a strange place to be parked but I could definitely see a vantage point on houses nearby.

“Should I call the police?” I thought to myself. Then another thought popped in my head “If I call the police then they will come to my house which is in sight of these guys. Maybe I shouldn’t. And besides, I’m tired!”
  • Fear of retribution makes me not get involved.
  • Selfishness makes me steer clear of someone else’s situation.
  • Calculating how much time will be spent helping someone else makes me say no way, my time is too precious.

It is so easy for me to overlook what is wrong when I’m selfish. I mean I can bury my head in my work and overlook what is harmful to someone else. I can say “not my problem” but I will scream for help if it were. What should I do?

  • GOD wants me involved with other people to help them in difficult situations.
  • GOD wants me to stand up to something that is wrong or harmful.
  • GOD wants me engaged with my neighbors to cry with them, protect them and serve them.


Yes it takes more energy, but GOD wants me to help others especially when I don’t feel like it. By the way, I did call the police and they did catch the guys.

  • Are you afraid of getting involved?
  • Have you practiced overlooking wrongs for so long that you won’t confront them?
  • Are you the one in the wrong?
  • Can you get involved in a loving way, removing your opinion and giving the gift of GOD?

No comments:

Post a Comment