Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Speak up humbly



Genesis 44: 14 Joseph was still in the house when Judah and his brothers came in, and they threw themselves to the ground before him. 15 Joseph said to them, “What is this you have done? Don’t you know that a man like me can find things out by divination?”

16 “What can we say to my lord?” Judah replied. “What can we say? How can we prove our innocence? God has uncovered your servants’ guilt. We are now my lord’s slaves—we ourselves and the one who was found to have the cup.”

============

After another friend of mine was released I figured something had to be done.  I scheduled a meeting with the head of the very large department to give him a piece of my mind.  We sat and discussed what was going on.  He seemed cordial listening to my rants.

I later spoke to someone about my approach. They insisted that I had made a terrible mistake and I should do damage control. I had made an enemy because my approach was abrasive.

  • Sometimes when I think I’m right I speak up loudly.
  • Sometimes when I speak up I forget who I am talking to.
  • Sometimes when I forget who I’m talking to I may use words of rage.


Depending on who I am speaking with, common conversation could be words of condemnation. Information has to be worded carefully to convey the right message to be heard rather than repulsed.

Judah did not recognize his brother Joseph but knew he was a man of great stature. Joseph could have Judah thrown in jail or killed instantly so Judah spoke with humble words. He thought about his approach and didn’t blurt out what was on the top of his head.

  • GOD wants me to consult HIM before I address people.
  • GOD wants me to ask HIM for the message before I respond.
  • GOD wants me to humbly deliver messages rather than adding my poison.


Actually I should speak to everyone with tact. Building people up should be top of mind. My humble tongue helps the situation.

  • Do you speak to people abrasively?
  • Do you have harsh words for people?
  • Do you feel people need to hear you or should you humbly request to be heard?
  • Can you ask GOD for your words before you speak them?

No comments:

Post a Comment