Thursday, May 30, 2013

Am I too familiar with GOD?

Exodus 19: 20 The Lord descended to the top of Mount Sinai and called Moses to the top of the mountain. So Moses went up 21 and the Lord said to him, “Go down and warn the people so they do not force their way through to see the Lord and many of them perish. 22 Even the priests, who approach the Lord, must consecrate themselves, or the Lord will break out against them.”

============

Something woke me up so I decided to go to church this particular Sunday.  I was helping the teens because the teacher was “boring” but I had gone out the night before and only had a few hours of sleep. Sitting in class I found my mind drifting to many other places. When the teacher asked me a question I had no response.

Later that morning I found it impossible to keep my eyes open as the preacher seemed to take forever.  “When will I get out of this place?” I thought to myself.

  • Sometimes I find myself going through the motions with GOD.
  • Sometimes I treat GOD like a habit.
  • Sometimes I want to be done with worshipping and get on with whatever I was doing.


I sometimes forget that GOD is GOD and not a pal or a boss. I treat HIM any old way and HE becomes my last thought or last resort. I dust HIM off when I get in trouble then put HIM away for safe keeping when I need HIM again. I don’t prepare myself to hear HIS message because worshipping is on my checklist and is viewed as something to get done.

  • GOD says “wash my clothes” and prepare myself to meet HIM.
  • GOD says “consecrate myself” getting myself in the correct mindset for HIM.
  • GOD says “be ready” which means HE comes first and work or social comes second.


It’s easy to treat GOD as a habit instead of a being to be worshipped. It’s almost like saying “Yeah, yeah” to HIM and then doing my own thing. When HE makes life difficult for me then I try to use the argument “but I went to church, why aren’t you punishing those who are criminals?”

GOD wants me to treat HIM as GOD who is supreme, final and most powerful. HE can’t stand sin so HE allowed HIS SON to pay the price that I should have paid. HE doesn’t want me to take this gift lightly!

  • How are you treating GOD?
  • Do you view HIM as a pushover who only forgives or can you see HE also has supreme judgment?
  • Do you fear the LORD?


No comments:

Post a Comment