Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Answered Prayer Doesn’t Mean I Am Following GOD



Exodus 8: 30 Then Moses left Pharaoh and prayed to the Lord, 31 and the Lord did what Moses asked. The flies left Pharaoh and his officials and his people; not a fly remained. 32 But this time also Pharaoh hardened his heart and would not let the people go.

============

“LORD please help me feel better” was the prayer when I felt unusually sick. A few hours later I felt better.  Now I can go “hang out” like usual. “Hanging out” was my code word for getting into mischief. Nothing had changed.  I didn’t learn my lesson.

  • Sometimes my requests are selfish yet GOD answers my prayers.
  • Sometimes my selfish requests make me turn my back on GOD yet HE answers my prayers.
  • Sometimes my turning away from GOD makes me think I can do things on my own power yet HE answers my prayers.


Pharaoh was told to let the Israelites go to worship GOD. He wouldn’t and GOD sent plagues.  He hardened his heart at every plague even though his prayers were answered to remove them.

There is an old saying “you better be careful what you ask for, you might get it.” I get nervous about GOD helping me get on the wrong path. HE knows the heart and knows how incredibly wicked it is. HE can dig deep and see the motive behind my prayer. Scary thing about this is HE has given me free will to “not” choose HIS way.

  • GOD would prefer that I consult HIM on my requests.
  • GOD wants me to align my desires with HIS plan to draw all people to HIM.
  • GOD desires that I seek HIS counsel, HIS timing and HIS answer which could be “no.”


Before I ask GOD for something I really should ask myself “Why do I want this?” Then when the answer pops in my head I should compare it to what GOD says is right. If they match then I can proceed. I know it’s harder than this statement but it is a start.

  • Are your prayers selfish?
  • Have you asked GOD to resolve your situation?
  • Can you ask GOD to take control of your desires?
  • Won’t you seek what GOD wants for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment