Monday, June 24, 2013

Is it time to do something else?

Exodus 36:Then Moses gave an order. A message was sent through the whole camp. It said, “No man or woman should make anything else and offer it for the holy tent.” And so the people were kept from bringing more offerings. There was already more than enough to do all of the work.

============

Sitting in the church office I listened to the sermon on the speaker as I plowed through the books. Later I made sure all of the offerings had been entered into the accounting system.  I then scheduled meetings to discuss the crumbling infrastructure, new parking lot, meetings with the city and hiring a new construction company.

At home, I documented new ways to do outreach, ordered items and toiled over a list of problems that seemed a mile long. I was exhausted! Good thing I was working for the LORD right? Maybe not.

  • Sometimes my service is not based on GOD, rather I’m doing busy work.
  • Sometimes my service is not based on GOD, rather it’s bathed in achievements to receive accolades.
  • Sometimes my service is not based on GOD, rather it’s laced with complaints that other people are not pulling their load and “I’m” doing all the work!


Burn out is common in those who serve in churches and I was a casualty. No one else was stepping up and the corporate motto I learned was “failure is not an option” so I plowed ahead. BUT GOD has another thought.

  • GOD says “come unto ME all who are heavy laden and I will give you rest.”
  • GOD says “take MY yoke upon you and learn of ME for I am meek and lowly at heart.”
  • GOD says “and you shall find rest unto your soul for MY yoke is easy and MY burden is light.”


I’m not saying I will be on vacation the rest of my days, but I will say I will do something controversial and that is pace myself. As badly as I want everyone around me to be saved, I will speak to those GOD delivers to me and I will serve at work, when driving and at the building we call “church.” 

Instead of looking at one portion of my life as GODS’ I will give HIM my entire life, sin included. I can actually give myself permission to say, I have done enough or given enough or prayed enough so I won’t experience burn out and end up in a worse place which is not doing it at all. I must keep in mind though, I am doing this to keep going!

  • Are you working hard for GOD?
  • Does it feel like you are serving and getting exhausted?
  • Is GOD saying “it’s time for you to change ministries?”
  • Can you get some “rest” so you can keep going for the long haul?


No comments:

Post a Comment