Monday, September 16, 2013

Keeping Promises


Numbers 30:1 Moses spoke to the heads of the tribes of Israel. He said, “Here is what the Lord commands. Suppose a man makes a special promise to the Lord. Or suppose he takes an oath and agrees to do something. Then he must keep his promise. He must do everything he said he would do.

============

“I promise I won’t do that again” were my empty words to the LORD as I tried to escape consequences of my actions many times.  Whether it was a ticket that I got off with a warning or a close call with something else, I found that the thing I would “never” do again would be done again, sometimes within 24 hours!

  • GOD doesn’t like my empty promises.
  • GOD doesn’t like when I use a promise to get my way and then not keep my promise.
  • GOD doesn’t like when I don’t follow through with my promises to HIM.


A vow to GOD is important to HIM. HE doesn’t take my promises lightly even though I might.  It may be a character situation that HE is looking at.  HE knows a destructive path is built on deception and when I lie to HIM by making a promise I have no intention of keeping, HIS anger is stirred.

  • GOD wants me to make special promises to HIM to keep our relationship close.
  • GOD wants me to keep those special promises, showing HE is more special than anything else.
  • GOD wants me to do everything I said I will do and not change my mind when the going gets good.


If I vow to give more when I am wealthy then I must give more when I am wealthy. In fact I need to start giving more before I get wealthy. If I vow to stop doing something, then I need to stop doing that thing unconditionally rather than waiting on GOD to orchestrate the perfect time.

Making a promise is special to GOD.  HE doesn’t want me to shy away from doing that.  BUT HE would rather that I not promise rather than making an empty promise that I won’t keep.

  • Have you made empty promises to GOD?
  • Have you broken your vow to HIM?
  • Can you ask HIM for forgiveness of your broken promises and realize HE forgives you?
  • Can you stop trying to fix your broken promises and focus on your relationship with GOD?


No comments:

Post a Comment