“LORD if you get me out of ‘fill in the blank’ then I will ‘never’ do ‘fill in the blank’ again!” I have said on many occasions when my back was against the wall as if I could bargain with GOD. Looking back on those ludicrous statements makes me cringe with fear as to how many promises of “never doing that again” I have not kept.
- When I’m scared I make frivolous promises with GOD simply to get out of the trial.
- When I’m lost I begin to bargain with GOD simply to find my way then I return back to the old me.
- When I’m feeling low I beg GOD to get me out by making promises I may not be able to keep.
GOD made promises that HE holds HIMSELF to. HE cannot and will not go back on HIS word. When HE declares something, it will happen the way HE said it and how HE said it even if HE has to die in the process. I’m speaking about JESUS just then. In other words HE takes promises seriously.
- GOD wants me to think before I make a promise otherwise I’m in deeper trouble.
- GOD wants me to make promises as an act of worship and plan to keep them.
- GOD wants me to stop bargaining with HIM in order to get my way and make vows to HIM as an act of worship.
Getting out of a trial should not be the goal when I make a promise to GOD. I may say something I didn’t mean or could not keep when I am in the heat of the moment. GOD wants me to quiet my mind down and think about my promise so I can keep it and not grow weary.
- Have you made a frivolous promise to GOD?
- Are you trying to get out of a trial and have no intention of keeping that promise?
- Won’t you review your promises before you make them to see if you can keep them?
- Can you make a promise to GOD as an act of worship today?