Friday, October 18, 2013

Plan for generosity

Deuteronomy 14: 28 At the end of every three years, bring all the tithes of that year’s produce and store it in your towns, 29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the foreigners, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the Lord your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

============

Anticipation and exhilaration flowed through my veins as I waited on a statement from my investments. I was saving up for a cruise and I wanted to make sure I had enough money to go. I planned this trip for months. I booked the plane and excursions. Yes this was a well-deserved trip!
  • When I want something I plan for it.
  • When I desire something I save up for it.
  • When I yearn for something I get excited over it and anticipate its arrival.


Giving is quite the opposite of my vacation planning.  Sometimes I grumble over giving and other times I look up and whatever money is left I give. I say to myself, I don’t have enough to give right now, yet I run out and buy new stuff because I “need” more stuff.
  • GOD wants me to plan for giving.
  • GOD says “prepare your tithes.”
  • GOD says “pay attention to those in need.”

When I know I am going to give then I automatically deduct the amount I have in my hand by what I have already planned. I no longer say to myself I have $1000 rather the LORD has $100 and I have $900. But wait, what if my income doesn’t cover my bills. Well, that’s a longer discussion but I know GOD loves when I am cheerful in my giving.

Giving frees me from wanting more and more for myself because the focus is on others. Through GOD’s generosity, I can be generous.
  • Are you planning to give?
  • Are you planning to give in big way or have you squeezed GOD’s generosity into your tiny world?
  • Has GOD given you a vision for generosity?


No comments:

Post a Comment