Thursday, October 17, 2013

The danger of pointing at myself


Deuteronomy 13 If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a sign or wonder, and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them,” you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. 

The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. It is the Lord your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him. 

============

“Why am I not getting promoted?” I asked a mentor. He said, “You need to learn the art of self-promotion.” It’s when I tell people how great I am without looking like a braggart. I tried it and it worked! In fact it worked so well that I used it when speaking about “church” not GOD. 

I promoted “churches” and eventually the positions I held within them. Soon people were looking at me. I was now an icon. Now I couldn’t tell people about my sins, people would be so disappointed!

  • My desire to be promoted may spill into other areas of my life.
  • My desire to be noticed may make me do things contrary to what I’m supposed to be doing.
  • My desire to be in the spotlight may take the stage away from the being who is supposed to have it.


Please don’t get me wrong… it is perfectly fine to let people know accomplishments and to be excited about how GOD is blessing me, but my motive has to be carefully examined to see if “I” need to tell people or should this wonderful situation remain between me and GOD.

Angels have incredible power, yet when John tried to bow to one of them the angel immediately stopped him and pointed to GOD. The angel knew something very important.

  • All blessings come from GOD.
  • All eyes should be on GOD not on me in any way.
  • All thanks and praise should go to HIM not me.


It’s nice to hear when I am doing a good job. Who wouldn’t want to hear it? BUT GOD requires that I point the people to HIM so HE can give me my reward instead of stealing HIS light.

  • Are you following a human?
  • Are you trying to get humans to follow you?
  • Can you place GOD above all humans, even yourself?
  • Won’t you stop promoting the thing that is less than GOD and point people to HIM again?


No comments:

Post a Comment