Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The real stone


Deuteronomy 16: 21 Do not set up any wooden Asherah pole beside the altar you build to the Lord your God, 22 and do not erect a sacred stone, for these the Lord your God hates.

============

Shopping in a village in Africa after work, a stone artist approached me.  “This statue will bring you good luck.” Driving back across the border from Mexico a salesperson approached the car and said “this will bring your luck.” I have no idea what they were selling. In China I some students gave me gifts and said “this will being you luck.” I wonder if this is where I should put my hope. Nope!

  • Wooden statues are carved by humans and have no power.
  • Stone statues are carved by humans and have no power.
  • String necklaces are made by humans and have no power.


When I have my lucky pencil for a test or wear my lucky shirt for my team to win a game or sit in my lucky seat I’m actually forgetting what GOD says about turning to other gods. It means I desire whatever I desire so much, that I would turn my back on GOD to get it.

  • GOD says “Do not place any god above ME.”
  • GOD says “Worship only ME.”
  • GOD says “I hate wooden and stone gods that have no power.”


The stone the builders rejected is the one and only stone I need to pay attention to, namely JESUS. CHRIST is the cornerstone of the church and that means my total trust needs to be in HIM. My desires should never go outside of HIS will and I should accept the daily bread HE delivers to me. HE supplies my needs and fights my battles. HE IS.

  • Where is your faith?
  • Do you feel your sin changes GOD’s love for you?
  • Can you trust that GOD has the best intention in mind for you?
  • Won’t you start thinking GOD cares and let HIM provide for you the way HE wants to today?


No comments:

Post a Comment