Monday, October 21, 2013

Want a blessing today?

Deuteronomy 15: 10 Give generously to them and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to. 11 There will always be poor people in the land. Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward your fellow Israelites who are poor and needy in your land.

============

Sitting in the “counselors” chair a homeless person sat across from me and had to hear the “Gospel of CHRIST” from me. He wreaked of booze but was coherent enough to answer my questions. During our anticipated and somewhat robotic conversation it dawned on me… I wasn’t getting through to him so I asked those in charge, “Do we really have to give this guy some food?”

  • When I serve with a grudging heart, I am not at my best.
  • When I give out of obligation I hurl my money at the need in a tantrum.
  • When I expect a monetary blessing because I have served, I may be on the road to manipulation instead of gratitude.


Poor people will always be around me GOD says. HE wants to bless me, but sometimes I see what this person is going to do with “my” money and I become the judge and jury and provide a verdict that is not favorable for the person standing in front of me. I mean this person is a drunk and that person is a drug addict and that person won’t stop being whatever they are being. I mean shouldn’t “my” money go to someone who “deserves” it?

  • GOD says to me “judge not and I won’t judge you.”
  • GOD says to me “look beyond the messy person I delivered to you and give them your best.”
  • GOD says to me “I know you are weary from giving but my grace is sufficient.”


Sometimes it’s hard to give because I am either not seeing the change I want to see fast enough or the ocean of people seems too great for “my” power. I may feel overwhelmed because the need seems too great. BUT GOD says to me “do what you can with what I have blessed you with for I have many servants.”

I must trust that GOD has plenty and that I am only one of many distribution points for HIS wealth. Yes, the wealth is not mine but HIS and HE wants to do with it as HE pleases.

  • Are you giving with a grudging heart?
  • Are you serving out of expectation from GOD?
  • Can you give and serve without expecting something from GOD?
  • Won’t you trust that HE will bless you the way HE wants to bless you, when HE wants to bless you?


No comments:

Post a Comment