Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Giving is an act of praise

Deuteronomy 26:So the Lord brought us out of Egypt with a mighty hand and an outstretched arm, with great terror and with signs and wonders. He brought us to this place and gave us this land, a land flowing with milk and honey; 10 and now I bring the firstfruits of the soil that you, Lord, have given me.” Place the basket before the Lord your God and bow down before him. 

============

Spring was finally here! I wasn’t excited about the trees blooming or a warm breeze gently blowing on my face. It was bonus season!  This particular year I was going to take the vacation of a lifetime. I mean it was going to be first class all the way around! I think I watched my account daily to make sure I could pull the trigger on purchasing multiple tickets to some of the finest places!

  • When I have plenty I sometimes forget to give first and plan later.
  • When I have plenty I sometimes think it’s all mine.
  • When I have plenty I sometimes believe I deserve a break from all of “my” hard work.


It’s amazing how easy it is to think my bank account is “mine.” When it has a lot, I start thinking about some great exotic places I haven’t been and some nice toys I can now afford. I then have more conversations about fine dining, entertainment, better schools and gadgets. But what does GOD want?

  • GOD wants me to remember where my wealth comes from so I won’t become arrogant.
  • GOD wants me to remember HE is in control of my bank account even when it is low.
  • GOD wants me to remember to give when I have plenty and give when I little in order to break the grip of fear money can place me in.


GOD wants me to celebrate the fact that HE is the provider, not me!  HE wants laughter and smiles and celebration rather than giving out of obligation with a staunch, somber, teary eyed face. By taking the firstfruits off of what I make, I am showing GOD that I trust HIM to do what is necessary to provide for me. 

HE can give me plenty and HE can take riches away, but that shouldn’t change my celebration of HIS provision!

  • Do you feel you can’t give right now because you don’t have much?
  • Do you feel you can’t give right now because you have too much?
  • Are you saving up for more stuff?
  • Can you give and praise GOD about your giving?
  • Won’t you put your trust in GOD instead of your bank account?


No comments:

Post a Comment