Monday, December 2, 2013

Facing fears

Joshua 11:The Lord said to Joshua, “Do not be afraid of them, because by this time tomorrow I will hand all of them, slain, over to Israel. You are to hamstring their horses and burn their chariots.”

So Joshua and his whole army came against them suddenly at the Waters of Merom and attacked them, and the Lord gave them into the hand of Israel. They defeated them and pursued them all the way to Greater Sidon, to Misrephoth Maim, and to the Valley of Mizpah on the east, until no survivors were left. Joshua did to them as the Lord had directed: He hamstrung their horses and burned their chariots.

===========

My hands were actually shaking as I rifled through my note cards. I had never been on stage before, at least not with an audience this size. I kept thinking and overthinking what I was going to say. I knew my place on the agenda, but they changed it and I was on next. I’d like to say some miracle happened like the lights going out or an earthquake hitting the conference but nothing occurred.

I had to face my fear of ‘speaking to a large hostile crowd.’ “LORD, please give me the right words.” I prayed. Suddenly I had a sense of calm. The presentation went well and I was able to calmly handle the hostile questions.

  • When I think about the thing I fear, my fear gets bigger.
  • When I see no way out of a situation, my fear increases.
  • When I postulate that I am defeated, my fear turns into a giant.

My mind can play some serious tricks on me when I have fear.  I seem to hear a conversation differently, picking out words that confirm my demise. Then I put fearful words in my mouth explaining to everyone why I can’t accomplish what is in front of me. BUT GOD has something different in mind.

  • GOD wants me to face my fears because HE is with me.
  • GOD wants me to ask HIM for HIS strength instead of thinking I have to handle my fears with my own feeble power.
  • GOD wants me to follow HIS plan and allow HIM to take care of the thing I fear, in HIS time in HIS way.


When I let go of the expectation of how things will turn out, then GOD can take care the thing I fear.

  • What are you afraid of?
  • Can you face what or who you are afraid of by asking GOD to take care of the situation?
  • Won’t you let go of your fear a little by thinking about GOD’s power instead?


No comments:

Post a Comment