Friday, February 7, 2014

Churchy stuff doesn’t always help


1 Samuel 4:When the soldiers returned to camp, the elders of Israel asked, “Why did the Lord bring defeat on us today before the Philistines? Let us bring the ark of the Lord’s covenant from Shiloh, so that he may go with us and save us from the hand of our enemies.”

============

“Please pray about the parking lot” were my standard words I read in the announcement at the church meeting. I did not see a barricade to having the high priority parking lot redone so if people prayed then “good”, but if they didn’t then oh, well.  I just thought that since I was in church I needed to say “pray.”

A short time after the meeting, I met with one of the leaders. He confessed to “changing direction” with some of the funds. A battle ensued, I was “kicked out” and to this day I don’t think the parking lot has been finished. I wonder if I was blind to GOD’s plan.

  • Just because I use churchy terms doesn’t mean I’m following GOD at the time.
  • Just because I spray churchy words around doesn’t mean GOD is excited.
  • Just because I hold what I’m saying up with scripture, doesn’t mean I’m directed by GOD.


It is very true that GOD’s word does not go out void, but it is also true that faithless actions will not be blessed by GOD. In this instance, I decided to move forward without consulting GOD, because I figured that it’s for church so it has to be good. I was so caught up in church that I forgot GOD.

  • GOD wants my effort to be on prayer rather than programming.
  • GOD wants me to place HIM above buildings rather than trying to get more comfortable.
  • GOD wants me to seek HIM first and HE will provide the means to sustain those who are reached.


Please don’t get me wrong, I believe the “church” needs to meet in whatever building GOD desires and programs are important. BUT GOD needs to be first, not an excuse. I need to not checkmark prayer and GOD as if those things had to be included as a default. GOD demands to be heard and HE deserves faithful prayer. Without HIM my plans are nothing.

  • Are you planning something without truly consulting GOD?
  • Are you going through the motions thinking GOD is with you?
  • Won’t you stop for a moment and ask GOD if HE will bless your efforts?
  • Can you accept “No” as an answer from GOD?
  • Won’t you seek HIS kingdom first before you proceed with your plans?


No comments:

Post a Comment